ON THE RADAR WITH
1. Tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Giennie Mathabatha (aka ModernRockstar), the next big thing from the diamond city Kimberley in the Northern Cape.
I am a law student, and passionate about corporate and media law. One of my goals is to also obtain a qualification in fashion, media and photography
I am totally obsessed with fashion. That is why I started a blog called “The Modern Rockstar Blog” (which describes my fearless, edgy, vintage look that has a mix of modern style). Which I would like to see grow. And eventually start my own clothing line.
2. What are some of your main passions and why are they important to you?
I am passionate about uplifting the community and the youth; I have co-founded a non-profit organisation established for this goal, to inspire change in our communities and the youth. Because I believe there is so much potential within our youth, when you inspire and lift the youth, you lift a whole community.
3. What are the 5 invaluable tips you can share for shooting looks, what would they be?
Be comfortable with your outfit, it should really represent you and your style, be original and fearless.
Be comfortable with your location and your background. I also believe that one can make any background work, just as long as it enhances your look and it does not steal focus from your look.
Get a great camera and an assistant, someone who knows a thing or two about photography.
Always have your makeup bag with you, just in case you sweat and need to touch up.
Show the world why you were made for this, be creative and different.
4. What camera do you use to shoot? and do have favourite locations or backdrops?
I currently have a cameraman [P.S invest in your own camera, this is my current mission] I don’t have a specific favourite background, I am very open to new adventures, so I try different backgrounds with each shoot.
5. What are some apps you can’t live without?
I totally cannot live without Instagram and Twitter.
6. Where do you get most of your inspiration?
When it comes to fashion, I get my inspiration from my favourite fashion icons, bloggers and the vision I have for my blog. How I want it to grow and constantly just be more fearless with my personal style.
7. Describe your personal style?
I would describe my style as modern, edgy, vintage… I can’t really put one label on my style, because I like to explore and take risks.
8. Favourite colour of the moment?
My favourite colour at the moment is pink, especially the dusty pink.
9. What is your to go outfit/look?
My go to outfit is a white tee, denim and heels or boots.
10. Who is your favourite fashion icon?
Favourite fashion icon is definitely Rihanna, Victoria Beckham and I’m also looooving Kendal Jenner’s style, she really is growing into the style game and slaying.
11. What is your dream collaboration?
I would like to collaborate with GUESS Jeans, because I’m obsessed with all things denim you guys will start to see a lot of this on my Instagram and blog.
- SURPEGA, I love their style, and their platform sneakers, which are my favourite; I have so many ideas for these sneakers.
- Some of the brands I would like to collaborate with are plum footwear, Legit, Mr Price, Forever new, Forever 21 and the list goes on.
12. What does a typical day look like for you?
Wake up, pray, do some school work and get things done. I hate wasting a day by doing nothing. I write down my ideas at night and wake up to go and knock on the doors to get them done. I also have a vision board that keeps me motivated and working.
13. What is your to go beauty routine?
- Firstly, I start with the ultimate beauty routine that is drinking as much water as I possibly can. And drinking green tea in the morning.
- I am currently in love with the Garnier 3 in 1 face wash which I use daily, it is really kind to my face.
- Mask my face at least once a month with avocado, plain yogurt and honey mixture, for that glow.
- I don’t wear makeup every day, mostly on weekends. During the week I use Garnier even and matte face cream.
- And lots of sleep.
14. What are some dreams of yours?
- Start my clothing line, I consider myself to be a creative and given the opportunity I will do big things.
- Build the ModernRockstar media and Fashion Empire.
- Collaborate with the above mentioned brands.
- Help change and build our communities.
15. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Definitely acting, I believe I could be a good actress.
16. Any hidden talents?
In five years’ time, I see myself living in the reality of my goals and aspirations. In my dreams come true.
17. What are they best things to do in your city?
I live in a city with the biggest man made hole, so that is definitely one of the things to see. Also, I go to the local restaurants especially the ones in the Kasi, my favourite is Fusions Kimberley. Check out our social markets and buy something from our local designers.
18. Are you part of any social communities in your city?
Yes, I am part of a women’s social club in my community, where we come together discuss community issues and try to raise funds to assist where we can in. My grandmother who is my biggest inspiration and fuel of motivation is the founding member of this social club.